Monday 24 October 2011

Pecan Pie


I baked my first cake yesterday! 

When it comes to cooking, I’ve dabbled in the kitchen in the past. Long gone are the days where a tin of beans on toast or a pot noodle ‘will do’ for dinner. Those things remind me of my University days and are neither a tasty nor nutritious alternative to a healthy dinner. 

I would describe myself as an adventurous cook who regularly tries new recipes. I’m certainly no Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey but I’m also not afraid to cook up a more complex meal, and do so from scratch (no sauce jars, etc.). Typically feedback is good and people enjoy my cooking … Me personally, I see it as a relaxing task which I enjoy after a hard day in the office or on the weekend when there is more time for that.

I also regularly cook in batches for those evenings when there isn’t much time. I prepare around 20 meals and freeze them so I always have a healthy dinner ready in case I don’t get home till quite late.

Anyways, baking is not something I’ve attempted before but having given it a good bash last night I have officially found a new hobby.

Firstly, I have to give it to my little corner shop up the road. Having roamed the isles unable to find a third of the ingredients I asked one of the chaps working there and in the end I got everything I needed.

Sugar, flour, shortcrust pastry mix, vanilla, golden syrup, eggs, butter and of course pecans. I didn’t have a baking tray, but I’ve managed to buy that in another corner shop. Outstanding!

This isn’t going to be an instruction manual for my pecan pie, so I want to keep this short. After flattening the base, I added all the other ingredients. 45 minutes in the oven on 190C and it was done. Taddddddaaaaaaah! My first cake. How did it taste? Lovely, if you ask me. I ate the whole thing in less than 24h, hahahaha! I must admit, Shannon did help me bake the cake but for a first attempt, I’d say that went pretty well. Hmmm, now what shall I bake next Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All feedback welcome! Would love to hear your thoughts.